22 Mar 17 Today's submission is not one for the galleries, but rather one to illustrate how well camouflage works. This shot was taken in the late afternoon the day after the storm that trapped us in the park and is outside the park just parallel to it. The clouds were right down with us as you can see and the light was beginning to fade fast. The animals, Pronghorn Antelope, were alongside the road crossing from our right to our left to graze on the open field and were in general totally unconcerned with us, so we shot them for a while before moving on a short distance to the spot where I got the shot of that large bull elk. This is pretty much how we saw it and it would have been easy to miss these guys if we hadn't been paying attention and had they not just strolled across in front of the vehicles. Irrespective of your position of how this coloration came about, either by design (creation) or accident (evolution), you'll have to concede that it works rather well.
I've cropped this a small amount to remove some distractions, and added a small amount of contrast enhancement to the clouds which allowed for the hillside in the background to show. Nikon D500; 18 - 200; Aperture Priority; ISO 400; 1/500 sec @ f /10.
23 Mar 17 Last Thursday I shared with you a lily that I had manipulated some to look like it had been printed on metal, or so that's how I saw it. Some of you including Jan saw it differently, but in each case everyone saw it as being printed on some sort of supportive substrate. I thought I'd try doing another image in a similar fashion but this time with a bit more color and flourish, although not as bright. If you prefer the brightness of the image I shared last week it is easy enough to brighten this to a similar level which will give it a substantially different look. This is obviously a bleeding heart and it lives on the side of our abode. The location is a bit shady, shade being something this delicate plant likes, so I had to illuminate it some with fill flash to get the look I wanted even thought the aperture was f / 4, chosen to get a soft background and some nice bokeh. In the original the bokeh looks great, and I accomplished just what I set out to do, but in this creative version it didn't work well so I've removed most of it. One of the things I really like about these kinds of creative conversions is the colors that the software finds in the object that my eyes don't see. They aren't true to the colors displayed by the object, but I believe they are directly correlated to some color that is naturally there but obscured by the colors we do see. For any of you who might want to compare the "original" with this creative version let me know and I'll send you the "straight" shot. Considering the shape of the flower, I probably should have shared this on Valentine's Day.
The original was selectively given just a small amount of contrast enhancement, then had the color etching filter in Topaz Glow 2 applied. Nikon D300s; 105mm macro; Aperture Priority; ISO 200; 1/60 sec @ f / 4 with fill flash.
24 Mar 17 One more of the creative flowers but this time in bright colors. This is from a bouquet that we had sitting on the dining room table and which after having taken a number of shots I was planning on placing on the scanner to grab a three dimensional image which I was than going to manipulate, a process I've wanted to do for some time but am just getting around to doing. Or at least that was the plan. By the time I got around to trying it the blossoms were too old to handle and each one I touched simply fell apart. So I have to get some more before attempting. Meanwhile, I did have the shots from the camera so I thought I'd play with one to see what I might come up with. This is one I liked; well, one example anyway. I used the same technique as before with the two previously shared shots but this time did some additional work after playing with the plug-in filter. The diagonal formed by the flowers supposedly gives the image some sense of action, or so photo critiques claim, so we'll just consider this an example of flora in motion. Or, for those of you in my age bracket, something you might have envisioned at one of the best forgotten parties. Or maybe just something that would look nice displayed on a shiny surface.
I painted out some of the stuff I didn't like, cropped what remained some, and then ran a Topaz plug-in on it. Nikon D300s; 18 - 200; Aperture Priority; ISO 200; 1 sec @ f /13 on a tripod.