Daily Image - Apr 2011 Archive - sonofjohan
22 Apr 11.  On a day forecast for snow and other bizarre weather events, I found myself inside attempting to rewire a fluorescent light fixture in which the ballast had gone south. It was my second attempt at getting the correct ballast, and I was no more comfortable with the one I got today than the one I got yesterday. The nice man at the electrical supply assured me it was correct as did the clerk the day prior at the hardware store. Having initially installed the lights about 40 years back I figured I could easily repair it. Well, it was a functional replacement, but it lacked 3 wires from the original and had a very unusual wiring schematic, such that I studied it for more than an hour not believing what I was seeing. But it did work as shown and then all I had to do was reassemble a four foot long fixture with MULTIPLE wires with a mind of their own, four loose tombstones (the plastic pieces which actually hold the bulb pins) that didn't want to go where I wanted them (Jan finally figured how to make them work), and a plate that wasn't cooperating, all a few feet over my head. To make it even more interesting one of the tombstone managed to slip its contacts out a bit further that it should have and I found a way to put my fingers across a hot connection several times.(Don't ask) An interesting feeling that made me think of what I should share for today. Actually, a close up of a single flower to which I applied some current - a digital filter obviously - to make it "electric."  Or at least how I think it would have "felt" if it had hit the same wires I did.  ISO 200; 1/400 sec @ f/ 16.

22 Apr 11. On a day forecast for snow and other bizarre weather events, I found myself inside attempting to rewire a fluorescent light fixture in which the ballast had gone south. It was my second attempt at getting the correct ballast, and I was no more comfortable with the one I got today than the one I got yesterday. The nice man at the electrical supply assured me it was correct as did the clerk the day prior at the hardware store. Having initially installed the lights about 40 years back I figured I could easily repair it. Well, it was a functional replacement, but it lacked 3 wires from the original and had a very unusual wiring schematic, such that I studied it for more than an hour not believing what I was seeing. But it did work as shown and then all I had to do was reassemble a four foot long fixture with MULTIPLE wires with a mind of their own, four loose tombstones (the plastic pieces which actually hold the bulb pins) that didn't want to go where I wanted them (Jan finally figured how to make them work), and a plate that wasn't cooperating, all a few feet over my head. To make it even more interesting one of the tombstone managed to slip its contacts out a bit further that it should have and I found a way to put my fingers across a hot connection several times.(Don't ask) An interesting feeling that made me think of what I should share for today. Actually, a close up of a single flower to which I applied some current - a digital filter obviously - to make it "electric." Or at least how I think it would have "felt" if it had hit the same wires I did. ISO 200; 1/400 sec @ f/ 16.

yard05530blackholeforming