14 Nov 12. Having been in attendance at several photo conferences in the past 30 days, it is becoming increasingly obvious to me how little I know about this world of digital imaging. Each venue I've attended lately has only served to make me aware of my lack of skills in working these digital creatures, but they have also created in me a strong desire to try and fix that. Hopefully, once we get this house closer to completion and the holidays have passed, I can devote my full attention to the task of getting a better grip on digital editing. In the meantime, I have set a goal of attempting to work on one image a day in hopes of bringing out the very best of what there is in it. Having just finished reading both The Killing of Kennedy followed by The Killing of Lincoln, and having been a visitor to the D.C area earlier this year, I pulled up a shot of Lincoln - one of quite a few taken early one very chilly March a.m.- and tried to create something from it that I felt made a statement. Today's submission is that image and this is what I did. Starting with the base image, I duped the layer, ran a detail enhancement of it, then masked it and painted onto the dupe the enhancement effect to bring out Mr Lincoln from his surroundings. I then duped that layer and changed the blend mode to multiply, cancelled the mask, and reduced the opacity to 60%. I then flattened those two layers, duped the resulting layer, and removed a few little annoying bright areas. That layer was then flattened with the previous layer. Then I added a color adjustment layer, reduced the saturation of the yellow to -93 and the red to - 72. Then I converted what I had to a B&W image with a high overexposure look, reduced the opacity of that to 48%, and ran a noise reduction on that. I then did a tiny amount of brightening the eyes. Since the noise reduction also tried to remove my detail enhancement, I masked out the noise reduction on the area of Mr Lincoln. Finally, I ran to consecutive curves layer to darken the overall image but reduced the opacity of the second cures layer to 43%. Finally, I flattened it and converted it to jpg format for sending over the web. Nikon D300s; 18 - 200; Aperture Priority; ISO 200; 1/500 sec @ f / 8 at 0639 for the original shot which resulted in an overall very rich yellow tint.