30 Jan 15. As part of an annual physical on Monday it was suggested I get a pneumonia vaccination, to which I agreed. By Monday evening I was feeling the effects of the inoculation but assumed all was normal. By Tuesday afternoon things were starting to go south and by the evening the vaccination was awarded a TKO. Finally back to normal today and sending out Friday's missive rather late, but skipping the two others I missed. This is a shot of a daisy I took at one of our local nurseries but one with a really cluttered background. Sufficiently so that I thought it would be fun to just get rid of it all and substitute a colored background instead. With the green of the stem available along with the yellow of the stamen, I picked up those two hues, setting them as foreground and background colors, and created a gradient with the two. Tried going from green to yellow and reverse, and settled for what you see. The flower was added to the background to provide the final composition. So a creative version of a real flower with the creative aspect just being the background.
Starting with the original image, I first used the eyedropper tool to set my foreground and background colors by sampling from the flower itself. Then I selected the flower, inverted that selection to get the cluttered background, and deleted the background. Then I created a new gradient layer and made that layer a blend of the yellow and green colors. Using the flower layer to create a mask, I put the mask on the gradient layer which allowed the underlying flower to show through. A quick and simple way to isolate just the object of interest. Obviously a gradient layer wouldn't always be appropriate, but such can be used effectively. Nikon D300s; 18-200; Aperture Priority; ISO 200; 1/500 sec @ f / 9.